Since its beginnings in the 1890s as the Denver Artists’ Club, the Denver Art Museum has had a number of temporary homes, from the public library and a downtown mansion to a portion of the Denver City and County Building. The museum opened its own galleries on 14th Avenue Parkway in 1949, and a center for children’s art activities was added in the early 1950s. In 1971, the Denver Art Museum opened what’s now known as the North Building. Designed by Italian architect Gio Ponti and Denver-based James Sudler Associates, the seven-story structure, 210,000-square-foot building allowed the museum to display its collections under one roof for the first time. The North Building was an innovative move away from traditional, temple-style museum architecture. More than a million reflective glass tiles on the building’s exterior complement the dramatic windows and pierced roofline of the building’s castle-like facade.