Civic Center Conservancy
110 16th Street, Suite 905
Denver, Colorado 80202
303-861-4633

1955: Central Library Relocates

 

Leaving its original home in the 1909 Carnegie Library in Civic Center's northwest corner, the new Denver Central Library relocated  in 1955 to Civic Center's southeast corner.  The building - now known as the "north wing" of the existing Central Library - was designed by famed (and Denver-born) architect Burnham Hoyt (1887-1960) in collaboration with the Denver firm of Arthur and Alan Fisher.  Hoyt, who at one time served as the Dean of the New York School of Architecture,  also designed the amphitheater at Red Rocks State Park and the State Capitol Annex Building.

 

SOURCE: www.denverlibrary.org

 

 

 

 

JOIN OUR E-LIST & STAY IN THE KNOW!
JOIN NOW
DONATE NOW
BECOME A MEMBER