After more than eight years of design and construction, the final
cornerstone of Denver's City & County Building was laid in 1932. The completion
of the grand, classical building culminated a 30-year process to define the
Civic Center as the heart of city government and its cultural center. Set on
the western edge of Civic Center and symmetrically aligned with its primary
axis and that of the State Capitol, the City & County Building
completed Edward H. Bennett's 1917 master plan. It also marked the end
of the City Beautiful era in Denver.