Civic Center Conservancy
110 16th Street, Suite 905
Denver, Colorado 80202
303-861-4633

1909: Carnegie Library

First Building on the New Civic Center Site

The Carnegie Library, completed in 1909, was the first building to
be constructed on the new Civic Center site. This location had been agreed
to many years before construction began, and was a critical component of
each park plan including Robinson's original 1906 plan and MacMonnies’
subsequent 1909 plan. The Greek Revival style library was designed by
Albert Ross of New York and funded through a $200,000 gift from philanthropist
Andrew Carnegie. Its architectural style was consistent with the
Art Commission's vision for the new Civic Center and in keeping with the
neoclassical aesthetic of the City Beautiful movement and its principles for order and harmony.

 

SOURCE:  Denver's Civic Center Park Master Plan, 2005
 

JOIN OUR E-LIST & STAY IN THE KNOW!
JOIN NOW
DONATE NOW
BECOME A MEMBER