E.E. Myers and Frank E. Edbrooke designed the Federal Revival structure on the hill donated to the State of Colorado by Henry C. Brown in 1868. Anchoring the eastern terminus of Civic Center's Civic Axis, the west facade faces the 200-mile vista of Colorado's Front Range.
Financial, political and design hurdles delayed the start of construction until 1886. While the Governor's Office moved into the Capitol in 1894, work on the building continued for several more years. The final touches on the Capitol dome - gold leafing and an electric bulb - were completed in 1908.
SOURCES: Denver's Civic Center Design Guidelines and The Denver Westerners Brand Book (Martin A. Wegner, Assistant Colorado State Archivist in the 1950s)